STUDENTS OF SCHEDULED CASTS /SCHEDULED TRIBES Background
1. Bharat Ratna Baba Saheb Dr.B.R.Ambedkar is represented is respected all over the country for fighting for the welfare of poor and, downtrodden and weaker sections. He made significant contribution in Nation building. Scholarship provided by the Maharaja of Baroda was of considerable significance in the life o and achievements of Baba Saheb. With a view to recognise merit and encourage and motivate students, it is proposed to provide a one-time cash award to the meritorious students of Scheduled Caste (SC) and Scheduled Tribe (ST) for pursuing higher studies.
2. The scheme would be known as Dr.Ambedkar National Scholarship Scheme
3. This scheme would be implemented by Dr. Ambedkar Foundation, set up under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in 1992.
NO.OF SCHOLARSHIP :
1The Ambedkar National Scholarship will be given to three students scoring highest marks in the regular Class X level examination conducted by the Education Board/Council. This will be separate for Scheduled casts and Scheduled Tribes. In case none of the first three eligible students are girls, the girl student scoring the highest marks will get a special award.
2Thus for each of 26 Boards, there shall be four award for SC i.e. 104 awards and likewise another 104 awards for STs. In case more than one student scoring the same marks, the number of awards would be accordingly increased for covering all such eligible students.
3.As per 1991 census, 250 no. of special merit scholarship @ Rs.10, 000/- each will be awarded to the next highest scoring student after first, second and third position attained by SC/ST students. This will be in addition to the awards indicated at para 2 above.
AMOUNT OF SCHOLARSHIP The scholarship will be given as one-time grant as per the following norms: -
1. Student securing highest marks Rs.60, 000/-
2. Student securing 2 nd highest marks Rs.50, 000/-
3. Student securing 3 rd highest marks Rs.40, 000/-
4. Girl student securing highest marks (In case she is not in the above three categories) Rs.40, 000/-
Total Rs.1,90,000/- (Per Board/Council)
This award amount will be payable over any other scholarship/award.
The Board / Council conducting the examination would send details of the students (name, address, family income, percentage of marks, school last attended, nearest bank etc.) within 15 days of the announcement of the examination result, with copy to the Secretary, Education Dept. of the concerned State Government. For family income a certificate given by the father or principal should suffice. The award money would be sent to the students in the form of an Account Payee bank draft by registered post under intimation to the Board / Council.
Further details can be had from,
Dr. Ambedkar Foundation,
New Delhi 110 001.